Have you ever put off talking to an employee about their poor performance because you wanted to avoid the confrontation?
It can be very challenging to give bad news to employees but avoidance only creates stress on us (maybe our customers) and can bring the company growth to a screeching halt! Well, as they say, it is time to put your big girl/boy pants on and step into the conflict for the sake of the business and sometimes your own health and well-being!
Here are some things to remember as you walk into the conflict:
- We can only control how we react, we can’t control someone else’s emotions.
- It helps to pause the conservation – slow it down and give them an opportunity to collect themselves and get control of their emotions.
- You might try saying, “I can see you are upset by what you have heard here, it was not my intent to upset you but it is important for you to improve your performance and sometimes that can only be done by getting some honest feedback and that is what I am trying to do here.”
- Be consistent with all employees in the same situations.
- Maintain confidentiality!!